Montag, 12. August 2013

Picture-frame tray



I while ago I saw a lovely tutorial for a tray out of a picture frame. So I decided to get a tray for my coffee table. I won't need it to carry heavy stuff around, so I don't know how stury it will be in the end. But I'm sure it is pretty useful on a coffee table as a nice "underground" for all my stuff. And when I get tired of the colour, I can just change it.

I decided to not add the glass back into the frame as I fear that it might get scratched. So I might just have to take the fabric out every now and then to wash it, but as it is so quick and easy to assemble it back together it isn't too bad.

You'll need (I used my picture frame as a guidline, but of course you can take any size you want and just add 2.5 cm seam allowance to all sides)
picture frame for a 30*40cm picture. Fabric 35*45 cm.
Tools: Iron, scissors, stapler, maybe yarn and neadle

Cut the fabric to the right size and iron it. Lay the part of the frame that will be behind the picture on the backside of the fabric. Fold the seam allowance over the edge and iron flat (as seen on the photograph)
When you want to go the extra mile and will add the glass you can stitch the edges together. If you won't add the glass and might have to take the fabric out and wash it every now and then, you might just want to staple the edges together.
Now assembly everything. Glass inside the frame if you like, fabric part inside the frame and just close it up. If you won't add the  glass, iron over the fabric again once everything is done to make it lay flat.

There you go. Ten minutes of work - or even less - and you'll have the perfect tray.

Thats how it sould look when you sew/staple

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen