Montag, 17. Juni 2013

Welcome-door-sign

Well well... Here I am again... Moving is such a nightmare, I really hate it and there is still no end in sight as it'll still take roughly a month till I'll be settled in my new flat. In the meantime I'll move in with my parents for some weeks with the catties and will also go on holiday to my beloved Brighton. So at least something to look forward to in this messy time.

A while ago I did the first DIY for my new flat. A sign to hang outside my door. I really love buntings, they're so typical British and so I decided to do a bunting-themed welcome sign. It took me quite a while to find a suitable picture for the background as I wanted a garden picture, preferably one from a real English garden. So I ended up with one from the walled garden at Preston Park in Brighton. Well, maybe I'll take a better picture while in England this time.
The actual plan was to just write "welcome" on it, but then I decided to go for the German version, "Herzlich willkommen" which is a cordial welcome ;-)


What you'll need:
A picture frame, a background picture in matching size, coloured crafting paper, yarn
Tools: Scissors, cellotape, ruler, pencil, black pen
Optional: your favourite drink - I had white wine spritzer... Naughty me! - and good music

First you'll need to decide what you want to write on the buntings and consequently figure out how many of them you'll need and if you want to hang them in one or two rows. According to the number of buntings par row and the size of your frame, define the size of the buntings. Mine are 2 cm wide and 3 long. Cut the buntings out of coloured paper and write the letters on them with your black - or any other colour - pen. Cut one - or two, depending on how many rows you want - piece of yarn to be about 1.5 of the size of the frame. Use cellotape to add the buntings to the yarn. I cut a 6 cm piece of tape, covered the front of my buntings, then folded the tape over the top of the bunting, fixed the yarn as I went and covered the back. Cut off any excess tape.
Print a picture to match your frame or use a picture from a magazine or something likely. Add the yarn with the buntings to the picture, let the yarn hang down a bit in the middle. If it is the way you like it, fix it at the back of the picture with cellotape, cut off excess yarn and frame the picture.

There you go. Quick and easy and with material you'll most likely have at home anyway.

PS: Please excuse the strange angle of the picture. As you might know, taking pictures of something behind glass can be quite tricky, so I had to do it slightly from the side to avoid reflexions.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen